All posts by Martin Kelly

Steady Inbound Growth Trend Continues in June

Inbound tourism into Australia continued its steady growth through June. The United States + 13.7%, India +12% and China +11% were the fastest-growing major markets. New Zealand visits decreased -1.5%, the only market to record a fall.  Total inbound visits rose 6.3% over last year.  Outbound trips by Australian residents increased 3.1% during the month, according to the Australian Bureau of Statistics figures. 

Just Quietly, It’s the Brand That Matters

Yoshiharu Hoshino, CEO, Hoshino Resorts in Sydney, The Rocks 1...Yoshiharu Hoshino is  the quietest, calmest entrepreneur you could possibly imagine.

But when he speaks, you listen.

The fourth generation Japanese hotelier – slightly built, stylish – inherited a single ryokan in 1991 and now manages 35 modern ryokans and hotels across Japan with two more in Tahiti in Bali.

And his message in Sydney this week revolved around brand, that it is everything – a fundamental fact that many international accommodation businesses have forgotten, he says. More 

Ka-Ching!! Quest Pays Off for Paul Constantinou

Paul Constantinou at No Vacancy
Paul Constantinou at No Vacancy

Singaporean company Ascott Limited has paid $180m for a further 60% of Australia’s Quest Apartment Hotels, taking its stake to 80% with an option to buy the remaining 20% in the future.

Quest, which operates under a franchise model, was started by Chairman Paul Constantinou in Melbourne almost 30 years ago. More 

Final Days Loom for Iconic Bangkok Hotel

Dusit Thani BKK, smallThere’s just a few months left to experience the quirky delights of the Dusit Thani Bangkok, one of Asia’s most iconic properties.  It opened in February, 1970, and will close on April 16, 2018.

The hotel is old-school five-star Thailand with much of the property, such as the lobby area, still formly rooted in the 70s. Of course, that’s a big part of its charm. Stay there if you get a chance. The site is being redeveloped and the new Dusit Thani will emerge in 2022 as part of a mixed-use development .