Accor To Cut Costs, Drive Direct Bookings
22 February, 2013 by Martin Kelly
Hotel company Accor has embarked on a twin strategy to boost flagging performance by 1) cutting €100m in costs to counter poor market conditions in southern Europe and 2) accelerating new openings in more vibrant markets, especially Asia. Accor says it will also drive more bookings online line and sell direct (bypassing travel agency commissions) wherever possible. See stories in Financial Times and Travolution.
Book now to get the early bird rate for No Vacancy SEA, Asia's most dynamic hotel event, in Bangkok on June 25.
The issues-based, info-packed conference - which last year attracted 160 hoteliers, OTAs, distributors and tech suppliers - is unique in the way it mixes the online and offline worlds.
- Program and Speakers
- Bookings - A$399 Early Bird
- Venue: Sofitel Sukhumvit
- Register for event updates
This year's Southeast Asian conference is based around the concept of 'Beyond Price' and is full of relevant topics, speakers and information.
Marketing, distribution, consumers, pricing, internet, design, innovation, market analysis, technology and mobile are, as always, key themes.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Scott Blume, CEO, Wotif Group
- Bill Barnett, Director, C9 Hotelworks
- Javier Cedillo-Espin, VP Communications and Loyalty, Accor Asia Pacific
- Daniel Fraser, Director, Smiling Albino
- Anthony Green, Digital Director, QUO Global
- Nalin Kalayanamitr, Marketing & Sales Strategies Manager, Lub d Bangkok Hostel
- Bambos Kaisharis, Industry Head, Travel, Southeast Asia, Google
- Tomas Laboutka, CEO & Co-Founder, HotelQuickly
- Max Lambert, Co-Owner, Vietnam Backpacker’s Hostels
- Andrew Langston, VP Hotels Operations APAC, Banyan Tree
- Vikram Malhi, GM, Expedia South Asia
- Rajiv Malhotra, Head of Marketing SEA, Hotels.com
- Clint Nagata, Founder and Creative Director, BLINK Design Group
- Stephen O'Dell, Director, SODA
- Lothar Pehl, SVP Operations and Global Initiatives, Starwood Hotels and Resorts AP
- Rob Rosenstein, CEO, Agoda
- Nikki Scott, Publisher, SEA Backpacker
- Tejinder Sidhu, VP Sales & Marketing, Compass Hospitality
- Tarandeep Singh, Director Revenue Management For Hire - AMEA, InterContental Hotels Group
- Karthik Siva, Chairman, Global Brand Forum
- Brendan Sobie, Chief Analyst SEA, Centre for Asia Pacific Aviation
- Mark Southby, CEO, CheckInTonight.asia
- Jerome Wise, VP eCommerce, TravelClick
This is quick shout out for ideas, speakers, sponsors and feedback for TRAVELtech, which was founded way back in 1999.
That would be the decade before last. A long time ago. Prehistoric in tech and travel terms, so time to change things up.
The big news is that TRAVELtech 2013 will be staged over two days - September 12 & 13 - instead of the traditional one.
The first day - the new day - will be all about travel technology with the content aimed at those working in the industry's growing IT sector.
Day two will address online travel, e-commerce, distribution, digital marketing, mobile, social media, web trends and other key issues.
In other words, day two is the "traditional" TRAVELtech program which has worked so well over the past few years.
The idea is to reboot TRAVELtech and broaden its appeal without losing program focus,which we'll be able to do by having two distinct days.
This modular approach will also be reflected in tickets and pricing.
Delegates can buy individual day tickets or a two day pass at a reduced rate, depending on what they interested in, and details on that will be available in early June.
Meanwhile, we are seeking speakers, sponsors, supporters and program ideas - or variations on all of those themes.
So please get in contact, let me know your thoughts, no matter how random they may be.
You can call on (02) 9882-1575 or shoot through an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for your time and hope to hear from you soon.
No Vacancy Australia has just been held in Sydney.
It was a great day and images will be posted soon.
- Scott Blume, Chief Executive Officer, Wotif Group
- Katherine Birch Cole, Marketing Director, Hotels.com Australia & NZ
- Guy Bentley, CEO, Blue Mountains Hotel School
- Adrian Currie, Managing Director, Asia Pacific, Booking.com
- Bob East, Chief Executive Officer, Mantra Group
- Bruce Fair, Head of Commercial, Hooroo.com
- Paul Fischmann, Chief Executive Officer, 8 Hotels
- Turochas Fuad, Chief Executive Officer, travelmob
- Robert Gallagher, General Manager, Turu.com.au
- Kate Gamble, Director SEO, Social Media, Bruce Clay
- Frank Grasso, Chief Executive Officer, e-channel Search
- Lyn Harris, National Business Manager, Voyager
- Melanie Ingrey, Research Director, Nielsen, APMEA
- Simon McGrath, Chief Operating Officer, Accor Australia
- Bryon Merzeo, Manager Australia & NZ, STR Global
- Greg Muller, Chief Executive Officer Global Reviews
- Yury Shar, Managing Director, Hotelscombined.com
- Jakki Temple, Executive Director Sales & Events, The Star
- Matthew Thomas, National Manager, Meriton Serviced Apartments
- Michelle Wohl, Vice President Marketing, Revinate