China is all about the numbers – 1.36 billion people, 97 million of whom travelled internationally last year. Easy to see why China is the world’s most important tourism market, especially for tourism offices looking to boost visit numbers.
For example, one in every four of Tourism Australia’s market dollars is now being spent on luring Chinese travellers.
That’s a big bet TA is making but probably a safe one as China growth represents the organisation’s best chance to meet some pretty ambitious targets it has set for 2020.
No doubt many other NTOs are watching this strategy with great interest as they ponder their own numerical challenges.
With that in mind, here are some reasons why China is so pivotal – statistical highlights from Hotel.com’s 3rd annual Chinese International Travel Monitor 2014, which surveyed 6000 travellers and hoteliers.
- 100m Chinese tourists are expected to travel abroad this year
- 53% are now booking hotel accommodation online or via apps
- 71% travel independently (though hotels group say otherwise – for example more than 80% of Accor’s Chinese business in Australia is group travel)
- Families dominant travel demographic (54%)
- Most prefer to stay in 3 and 4 star hotels
- Just 11% would opt for a ‘Chinese-style’ hotel
- Like everyone else free wi-fi is a major priority at hotels
- Ability to pay with China Union Pay or Alipay is crucial
- Safety the most important factor in choosing next international destination
- The USA is the most popular destination for Chinese tourists
- Australia top of wish list but 11th in terms of actual visitations
You can use this link to download a copy of the report.