He graduated from William Angliss College (as it was known then) in 1982 with a Certificate in Catering, and immediately moved to Sydney to become the youngest General Manager of a 5 star hotel in Australia at the age of 22. He has worked in, managed or consulted to hotels, motels, resorts, restaurants and casinos for over 32 years across all states of Australia and is co-author of two bestselling hospitality & tourism textbooks, “The Road to Hospitality” and “The Road to Tourism”.
Dean has been actively involved in many aspects of the industry via board or committee membership including the Catering Institute of Australia, The Hospitality Management Guild, Australian Institute of Hospitality Management, Australian Hotel Association, Hotel Motel and Accommodation Association and the Programs Advisory Committee for the School of Hospitality, Tourism and Marketing at Victoria University.
He was involved with the Victorian Tourism Awards from 2001 to 2005 in the capacity of both judge and Chairman of the Mentor Panel and was recognised as a “Legend of Tourism” by Tourism Training Australia in 2004. Dean completed his Master of Business (Hospitality & Tourism) in 2007, researching Ethics and Leadership in Hospitality.
Dean’s current responsibilities include the operations of 8 serviced apartment operations in Melbourne, Sydney and Hobart, including the latest 380 room Citadines on Bourke Melbourne which opened on July 1, 2010.
Youngest ever GM of a 5 star hotel (The Southern Cross Sydney) @ 22yo
- Managed the 426 room Southern Cross Hotel Melbourne from age 24 to 27
- Involved in/managed opening of five hotels/residences (Southern Cross Sydney/Eden On the Yarra/Christmas Island Resort& Casino/ Somerset On Elizabeth/Citadines Melbourne On Bourke)
- Involved in/managed refurbishment of 5 hotels for Southern Cross Hotel Melbourne/Hotel Y (Melbourne)/Holiday Inn On Flinders/Erskine On the Beach Lorne
- Co-author of bestselling text books for Hospitality and Tourism
- Recognised as “Legend of Tourism” in 2004 by Tourism Training Australia
- Past judge for State and National Tourism Awards