Girish was born and raised in Hong Kong. After completing secondary school, he went on to graduate from the University of Southern Californiain 1984 with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration. He was honoured with Outstanding Alumni of the Year award from USC in 1992. Girish kicked off his career in 1984 when he beganmanaging his family’s Hong Kong based OEM watch business. As the new millennia ticked over, he saw that the watch industry was regressing and decided that it was time to move on to a new business he was passionate for. He then decided to get into the real estate industry, acquiring and opening his first Hong Kong serviced apartment in 2002, which went on to become the flagship Ovolo. Since then, Ovolo has evolved and the company currently owns and operates five hotels and one serviced apartment properties in Hong Kong as well as one hotel in Melbourne and two in Sydney. Ovolo is now taking its brand to a larger, international audience. Girish was given the prestigious honour Owner-Operator Award at the 2012 DHL/SCMP Hong Kong Business Awards for his sterling leadership of Ovolo Group and overall contribution to the region’s business community and received HotelsWorld 2015 Deal of the Year Award for his acquisition of BLUE Hotel in Sydney. Ovolo was most recently given a Certificate of Merit at the HKMA Awards in 2015, a quality award that showcases the leadership, strategic planning, customer focus and management of the company. Outside of Ovolo Group, Girish is the Chairman and majority shareholder of Shalimar Paints Ltd., publically listed company in India. His business interests extend further to companies under the Singapore-based Hind Group umbrella. Girish is also an active member of Hong Kong Young Presidents Organization (YPO) through which he networks and shares ideas with fellow business operators and entrepreneurs. Girish is married to Sarika and they have 3 children, Avni, Avisha (daughters) and Shivang (son). Avni and Avisha have graduated and they are involved in the family business for taking care of Ovolo CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility), whilst Shivang is still studying. Apart from business, Girish enjoys yoga, hiking and is also a wine aficionado.
They include Bob East, Jamie Pherous, Anthony Hayes, Darrin Grafton, Rob Smith, Sue Badyari, Brett Mitchell, Robert Halfpenny, Les Szekely, Simon Lenoir, Rod Cuthbert and many more.
There's also an exclusive interview with Anthea and David Hammon, whose family company has owned Scenic World since 1945 and have just taken over the iconic BridgeClimb business.
Confirmed speakers include:
- Anthea Hammon, Managing Director, Scenic World; Director, Hammons Holdings
- Anthony Hayes, Chief Operating Officer, Sealink Travel Group (SLK)
- Anthony Moulder, Head of Transport & Infrastructure Research, CLSA Australia
- Bob East, Chairman Tourism Australia/ Chair Experience Co (EXP)
- Brett Mitchell, Regional Director APAC, Intrepid Group
- Darrin Grafton, Co-Founder, Serko (SKO)
- David Hammon, CEO & Director Hammons Holdings, (Scenic World/Sydney Harbour Bridge Tourism Experience)
- Dax Eddy, Executive Director, Jamberoo Action Park
- Jamie Pherous, Managing Director, Corporate Travel Management (CTD)
- Jeff Lewis, Vice President Technology & Strategic Initiatives, TripAdvisor
- Josh Oakes, Director, The Sunshine Tribe
- Kathryn Valk, Director of Marketing, Royal Carribean Cruises Ltd
- Les Szekely, Managing Director, Grand Prix Capital, early investor in SiteMinder and Rezdy
- Nigel Benton, Publisher, Australian Leisure Media
- Quirin Schwaighofer, co-Founder and COO, MadeComfy
- Rachel Wiseman, Chief Investment Officer, The NRMA
- Robert Halfpenny, Managing Director, Aurora Expeditions
- Rod Cuthbert, Founder Viator, Former Chairman Rome2rio
- Rob Smith, Divisional Director, Australia/New Zealand, Merlin Entertainments (LON: MERL)
- Sue Badyari, Chief Executive Officer, World Expeditions
- Simon Lenoir, Co-Founder, Rezdy
- Tammy Marshall, CEO, The B Hive
Travel IQ is a new one-day conference that celebrates the business of travel with the people who live it every day.
- Key executives
Travel is a business, and Travel IQ will treat it like one.
You’ll learn how to improve your business, list a company, source finance, scale-up, connect with the right people, capitalise on fresh opportunities.
The program will be packed with industry innovators, creators, accumulators, doers, legends and pioneers.
See the travel industry through their eyes and leave with a better understanding of where you’d like to take your business.
Travel IQ is being held in the small but perfectly formed ballroom at the delightful Langham Hotel in The Rocks, Sydney, on October 24.
Numbers are strictly limited with a total capacity of 110.
Catering will be of the highest standard with ample networking opportunities in comfortable surroundings.
Please register your interest here and we’ll make sure you get the latest updates.
Travel IQ is being produced by Martin Kelly, who created the TRAVELtech and No Vacancy conferences, now owned by National Media.
More information on Travel IQ
We’re proud to be a part of Travel Massive - a tourism community that started in Sydney and has grown to more than 40,000 members world-wide in 70 countries.
Connect with TravelTrends on Travel Massive, and join the community so your business can get discovered.
You can find Travel Massive in these Australian cities:
It's a fantastic community - the only one of its kind - isn't it time you joined?
- It's All About The Information -
TravelTrends founder Martin Kelly has diversified and now also runs Bluewater Press, a communications and thought leadership consultancy with a particular expertise in travel. Services include:
- Strategic Communications
- Media Releases & Distribution
- Crisis Management
- Thought Leadership
- Industry Advocacy
- Positioning, Messaging
- Marketing Plans & Execution
- Engaging Content
Martin is a communications, public relations and media professional with extensive high-level experience across the travel, internet, property and banking industries, both in-house and as a consultant.
For further information please email email@example.com