The accommodation industry is under-performing when it comes to accruing and engaging with ‘fans’ on Facebook, according to a new report from Online Circle Social Media. The report also reveals that websites, let by Wotif.com, are strongly outperforming operators.
“Just eight of the top 20 accommodation brands have a fan base in excess of 10,000,” the report says.
“Considering they are selling freedom and escape this number may seem on the low end of expectations, leaving room for growth and development by all brands large and small in the industry.
“Notable was the seemingly low engagement rate for such an engaging topic. Eleven of the top 20 pages (by volume) had an engagement rate under 2%. Does this present an opportunity for an industry player to jump out of the pack?”
The top 20 accommodation sites in terms of fans are:
- Wotif.com (64,849 fans)
- LateRooms.com (25,495 fans)
- Schoolies.com (24,115 fans)
- Stayz (18,713 fans)
- Quickbeds (18,477 fans)
- Hotels.com Australia (18,042 fans)
- Hotelscombined.com (11,276 fans)
- Hamilton Island (10,680 fans)
- HotelClub (6822 fans)
- BIG4 Holiday Parks (6249 fans)
- Mantra (3266 fans)
- TotalTravel (3110 fans)
- YHA (2695 fans)
- Hotel.com.au (2329 fans)
- Rydges Hotels and Resorts (2247 fans)
- TakeABreak.com.au (1451 fans)
- Best Western Australia NZ (704 fans)
- Discovery Holiday Parks (660 fans)
- Peppers Retreats and Resorts (604 fans)