Here are some abstract notes from TRAVELtech NZ, held in chilly Auckland last week. Good day, some great presentations and plenty of enthusiasm from those present…
- The NZ travel web is dominated by airlines with 52% share, according to Wlad Chagas of Experian Hitwise.
- Did I say airlines? I mean Air New Zealand, which is omnipresent.
- By way of contrast, in nearby Australia online retailers have a bigger web share than airlines.
- Organic search dominates web traffic to travel sites.
- Ergo, NZ travel search spend (and traffic) is much less than other markets.
- Cruise is fastest-growing sector at 80% year on year but from a very low base.
- Airbnb not in the Top 20 websites but growing really quick, as is Amoma, which was mentioned by a coupe of speakers.
- According to Experian Hitwise the Top Ten OTA sites in NZ are:
3. Grabone Escape
6. House of Travel
10. Flight Centre
- Expedia says Wellington +97% and Christchurch +86% are the fastest-growing markets for mobile travel bookings.
- Bookings from Aucklanders are growing at a more modest 54%.
- Mobile – phones and tablets – now accounts for more than 26% of Expedia’s NZ bookings.
- Tourism New Zealand is spending 100% of its marketing budget on digital in all markets outside its biggest, Australia, where traditional media is still used.
- Long-form video ads playing increasing role in TNZ’s digital strategy, says Marketing Director Andrew Fraser.
- Dougal Mckenzie from Google says they are seeing a “massive increase in people desire to video and are very eager to share it.
- In the US 30% of search is now voice…
Following are some images taken on the day….