Sabre Buys 100% of Abacus International

Sabre Corporation, which already owns 35% of the Asian Global Distribution System, Abacus International,  last night confirmed it will buy the remaining 65% from a consortium of 11 regional airlines for USD411m.

“The Asia-Pacific travel market is the largest and fastest growing in the world,” said Tom Klein, Sabre President and CEO.

“Acquiring Abacus immediately combines the global capabilities of Sabre with the deep local market expertise of the leading Asia-Pacific GDS.”

He said it allows “Sabre to accelerate growth globally in a very capital efficient way – and to gain regional synergies in all three of our businesses serving travel agents, airlines and hospitality companies.”

In a press statement, Sabre said Abacus has more than 100,000 travel agent customers across the Asia-Pacific region’s 59 markets and boasts the best low-cost  and Chinese airline content.

The acquisition includes new long-term distribution agreements between Sabre and the 11 airline owners of Abacus.

“We look forward to continuing our long-term business relationships with our former partners in Abacus,” said Greg Webb, President of Sabre Travel Network.

Share and Enjoy: