Profit surged 26% to US$67 million at TripAdvisor during the second quarter while “more than one billion travellers” visited the site during the six months of 2013. President and CEO Steve, Kaufer, said: “Our strong financial performance was driven by continued traffic growth. We also kicked off our first-ever offline ad campaign to enhance brand awareness (and) bid ‘adieu’ to pop-ups and rolled out our new hotel metasearch display, which makes it easier for travelers to find a great hotel as they plan their perfect trip.”
- Revenue for the second quarter of 2013 was $246.9 million, an increase of $49.8 million, or 25%, compared to the second quarter of 2012.
- Click-based advertising – Revenue from click-based advertising totaled $182.8 million for the second quarter of 2013, an increase of 21% compared to the second quarter of 2012. Click-based advertising revenue represented 74% of total revenue in the second quarter of 2013, compared to 77% in the second quarter of 2012.
- Display-based advertising – Revenue from display-based advertising totaled $31.4 million for the second quarter of 2013, an increase of 18% compared to the second quarter of 2012. Display-based advertising revenue represented 13% of total revenue in the second quarter of 2013 and 2012, respectively.
- Subscription, transaction and other – Revenue from subscription, transaction and other totaled $32.7 million for the second quarter of 2013, an increase of 68% compared to the second quarter of 2012.
- TripAdvisor’s travel community averaged more than 220 million monthly unique visitors for the quarter ended June 30, 2013, according to Google Analytics. At approximately 11% of the world’s monthly unique visitors in online travel, according to comScore, TripAdvisor remains the largest travel website in the world.
- User-generated content grew at a rate of more than 70 contributions per minute covering more than 725,000 hotels and accommodations, 1.3 million restaurants and 300,000 attractions in more than 130,000 destinations throughout the world. TripAdvisor syndicates its content to nearly 700 travel-related partners and TripAdvisor widgets can be found on more than 93,000 sites around the globe.
- There was an average of nearly 38 million monthly Facebook visitors to TripAdvisor’s website and Facebook app during the quarter, and remains the #1 travel app on Facebook, according to AppData. In addition, TripAdvisor grew marketable members more than 80% year-over-year to 53 million, according to company logs.
- Launched hotel metasearch functionality in early June, providing users with inline room pricing and availability.
- Began its first television ad campaign in the United States, testing ads in Boston, MA, Raleigh, NC, Seattle, WA, Portland, OR, Columbus, OH, and Houston, TX.
- Downloads of TripAdvisor, City Guides and SeatGuru mobile apps doubled year-over-year. Including downloads of Jetsetter and GateGuru, TripAdvisor reached 50 million cumulative downloads and average unique monthly visitors via smartphone and tablet devices grew over 200% year-over-year to approximately 79 million for the quarter ended June 30, 2013, according to company logs.
- In addition to its previously announced Jetsetter, CruiseWise, and Niumba acquisitions, TripAdvisor acquired GateGuru, the leading mobile resource for flight and airport information around the world, complimenting TripAdvisor’s existing Flights product and SeatGuru brand in the air travel ecosystem.
See full results.